search archive
browse archive Up

PAULL ST ANDREW CHURCH DVDS

Object Type: Folder
In root of archive



Title
Description
Date

Originally deposited as a DVD-ROM. Relates to the restoration of St Andrews Church. Duration: 1hr, 5 mins. Timing. Action on film: (00:24) Paul Cross, the Treasurer of the PCC, introduces the video about the restoration of the church. (00:34) A survey in 2005 showed serious dilapidation to the main structure of the church, including serious water damage to the interior. Restoration of the bell and bell tower and repairs to the roof were also required. (01:16) The poor state of the bell. (01:31) A quote of £164,756 was received for the restoration work, excluding the bell. (01:40) A fund-raising committee was set up and various activities were organised to raise the required money. (01:58) In 18 months the villagers of Paull raised £48,000. (02:06) Other grants included £81,000 from English Heritage. (02:14) Mrs Beryl Marshall, a local parishioner, offered to fund the restoration of the bell. (02:23) Work began on 19 Mar 2009. (02:35) The first task is to restore the bell. (03:14) The contract is given to a Loughborough firm. (03:30) In 1532 there were three bells in the tower, but there is only one remaining. It was manufactured in 1788, by James Harrison II, the nephew of John Harrison, the clock maker of 'Longtitude' fame. (03:51) The bell is lowered. (05:15) The initial examination of the bell. (05:34) A close-up of the date of manufacture '1788'. (06:04) A close-up of the name of the founder 'James Harrison of Barrow-on- Humber'. (06:30) The clanger is removed. (06:50) The pews are removed from the north aisle to work on the walls and make space for a disabled toilet and a new community kitchen. (07:50) Excavation work to provide a reinforced concrete floor, which will be covered with tiles to match the original flooring. (08:40) A new water supply is installed at the north end of the transept for the kitchen and toilet. (09:25) During the excavation, small pieces of human bone are found. These are recorded and catalogued by the on-site archaeologist and then re-buried within the church. (10:15) New drainage is dug out. (11:02) A new cesspit is sited. (12:20) The new contract is awarded to F Kemp and Son. (12:40) Re-pointing of the outside walls. (13:30) Scaffolding is erected to the west wall of the tower to enable the re-pointing of this area. (15:18) Pipes are laid for the new cesspit. (18:07) A reinforced concrete floor is laid by hand. (20:08) The Secretary of the PCC, Mandy Annison, and Mrs Kay Burn, churchwarden. (20:31) Panoramic views of the village from the top of the tower. (21:40) The construction of the nave is seen to be of local cobble stones, maybe from the local shoreline and bricks, perhaps from a previous church. (22:40) Exterior pointing is completed. (23:40) Work starts on the roof. (25:10) Tiling the new floor and the repair of the old tiles. (30:33) The newly restored bell is returned on 22 Jun 2009. (31:03) Chains to lift the bell are raised into the tower. (31:21) The bell's new wheel is lifted with its new clanger. (31:50) Finally, the bell is lifted to the top of the tower. (31:21) The wheel is put in place. (35:20) The bell is carefully lined up to ensure it will ring freely. The accuracy is tested. (35:46) Holes are made to ensure the new ropes can drop to the ground floor and are checked using a plumb line. (37:40) The sound of the bell is heard for the first time in over twenty years. (38:07) The new bell rope is threaded to the ground floor from the bell and tied off at the new wheel. (38:36) Members of the PCC are trained to ring the bell - Secretary, Mrs Mandy Annison, Mrs Irene Cross, Mrs Kay Burn, Mr Jim Burn and Mr Paul Cross. (39:55) The old clanger from the bell is preserved. (40:39) One corner of the tower is supported by an old table leg. (40:56) Old black soot on some of the tower walls is possibly from the fire of 1642. During the English Civil War two Parliamentary ships, the 'Lion' and the 'Employment', fired on the battery next door, but hit the church. The fire destroyed the church records, and they now only run from 1657. (41:38) The names of several people are written on the walls of the first level of the tower: Will and Amy 1850, Dudley Hulme 1925, J Lonsborough, the carrier in Paull 1939, Dudley Hulme and Cyril Stark 1938, James Wilkin and James Starkey 1894, James Fenwick and James Evenden 1869, Edward Pickering and R Dalton May 1876, Edward Branston 1881, various employees from Kempster builders who carried out repairs in 2004. (42:30) Marks from the old chimney flue that carried smoke to the top of the tower. (43:20) Laying of new latts and felt for the roof. (44:06) The tiles that have been removed are sorted and measured. The good tiles will be used to cover the north side of the nave roof. New tiles have been purchased for the south side. (44:35) The old tiles are re-cut to size. (45:07) The old tiles are re-laid on the north side of the roof. (47:45) The protective canopy is removed when the roof is weather proof and the rest of the tiles are laid. (49:10) The scaffolding is removed. (49:30) A new access door to the tower is fitted. (50:14) The tiles that are left over are to be sold at a later date. (50:20) Repairing internal walls and plasterwork. (51:00) Wall memorials were protected to prevent damage. (51:13) Plastic sheeting is used to stop dust spreading throughout the church. (51:40) New screed and plaster is applied to the walls of the new kitchen and toilet. (53:15) The churchyard is cleared and tidied by several volunteers: Laura Fisher, Toby Annison, Jim Burn, Irene Cross, John Burgess, Jean Burgess, John Foster, Mrs Mandy Annison, and Mrs Kay Burn. (54:58) Repairs begin to the south wall. (55:43) The new toilet and kitchen are constructed in the north transept. (56:47) The old churchyard to the south side is cleared, revealing early graveyards relating to the 1700s. (57:08) A new sound system is installed by Keystone Sound Systems. It includes a mixer desk, CD player, microphones, hymnal and hearing loop. (58:22) The pews are removed from the south side of the church to create a community space. (58:48) During the excavations more human remains are found. These are catalogued and re-buried. (59:10) The excavation in the south-west corner reveals a lead coffin, buried only a few inches below the surface. (59:36) The space created at the back of the church will be used for the Riverside pop-in café, where visitors can enjoy light refreshments. (1:00:00) Minor repairs to the medieval stained glass in the east window. (1:01:06) The major work is completed, ready for the painting of the interior walls. (1:01:50) The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, agrees to conduct a service of blessing and to thank the local community on 10 January 2010. (1:02:15) The television coverage of the event on BBC Look North. A report by Emma Massey, including an item about the funding raised by the local people. (1:03:01) In an interview the Archbishop says that when local post offices and pubs close, then the church still provides a place for the community to meet. (1:03:24) £80,000 has been raised by the community of Paull. Two of the fundraisers talk about how the community reached the total required. (1:04:04) A table showing the reconciliation of funds, the cost of the work and the total money raised. (1:04:20) A list of organisations who assisted with the funding. Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1629/1')

2009

Originally deposited as a DVD-ROM. Contains video of the service held to commemorate the restoration of Paull parish church, conducted by the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu. Timing: Action on film (00:15) A local TV presenter introduces the video, describing how the villagers of Paull raised the money to restore St Andrew Church. The roof was leaking, the plasterwork rotting and the bell tower crumbling. (00:44) The Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, is to lead the service of blessing and thank the community for the restoration of the church (00:46) The church is full. (00:47) In an interview the Archbishop explains that the area is not a wealthy one, with only 330 houses and 600 people. Yet they have managed to raise enough funds to complete the work, which showed a real community spirit (01:05) Initially, church leaders were daunted by the amount they needed to raise, but the church was in poor repair and the alternative was closure. (01:13) Kay Burn, a church warden, lists some of the activities that were organised during the fund raising. They included a parachute jump, bazaars, chocolate tasting, a barn dance, auctions and a teddy bears' picnic. (01:34) Paul Cross, the treasurer, talks about replacing the roof on the nave, restoring the bell which had not been in use for 20 years and the re-pointing of several outside walls. (01:45) He says what a great honour it is that Dr Sentamu has come and that the last visit from the Archbishop of York was in 1879, when the church was re-opened after the completion of other restoration work (01:45) Sara Shaw, one of the fund raisers, is thrilled with the restoration and says that lots more people are attending church as they were involved in the fund raising effort (02:00) The presenter gives a brief history of the 655 year old church (02:05) Archbishop Sentamu talks about the modern church providing a community space now that local pubs and post offices are closing (02:25) An excerpt from a report by Emma Massey for BBC Look North. £230,000 has been raised, £80,000 by the people of Paull. Dianne Davies, a fund raiser, says that the proportion raised by the community is much higher than expected. Sara Shaw, another fundraiser, says the majority of the village became involved in the project (2:53) The service starts with a welcome to the congregation and a special welcome to Archbishop Sentamu and his wife. (3:32) Notices are read (3:35) Congregation remain standing while the Archbishop reads the opening words of the service from the back of the church; the congregation respond. (4:23) The opening hymn 'Now thank we all our God' (4:43) The Archbishop and clergy process to the front of the church during the hymn (5:09) The cross is passed from the Archbishop to an attending clergyman and then sits in the side pews at the front of the church (7:10) After the hymn is finished the congregation sit (7:15) The Archbishop reads the opening prayer to which the congregation respond (8:24) The congregation stand to sing 'Come and celebrate' with the choir (11:11) The congregation sit and the Archbishop offers a prayer of thanksgiving (13:24) The congregation stand to sing the third hymn 'Lead us heavenly Father lead us' (15:55) Mandy, Kay and Paul come to the front to describe the process of restoring the church (16:00) Mandy, the church secretary, speaks first, explaining how initial goals were set and detailing the cost of the renovation, £200,000. She concludes by saying that she, Paul and Kay, while managing to remain friends, have learned to listen, compromise, encourage, step outside their comfort zone and do and achieve things they never thought possible. Finally, she asks people to get involved as there is still more to be achieved. (20:10) Kay, the churchwarden, begins by saying thank you to everyone as the project could not have been completed without their support, which shows how important the church is to the community. She continues by listing the fund raising activities. Working with the community has provided her with new friends and she has found out what people want from the church (21:55) Paul, the treasurer, thanks everyone for coming and gives a short talk about the history of the church. The original church was built in 1115, nearer to the village and on the edge of the river Humber. The church was built by local people and since then it has been the responsibility of the community to maintain the church. Many people in the village today carry the same family names, Pickering, Starkey, Burgess, Wilkin, Harrison, Garbutt, Hulme, Johnson, Lambert, Leonard, Wright etc. The church has been the centre of the community for the past 655 years. He ends by saying that he was asked to help with the project by his auntie Joyce, but unfortunately she died before the project was completed (27:45) Children from Paull Primary School sing 'Stand up, clap hands, shout…' (30:00) First reading Luke Chap 3 15-17, 21-22 (31:31) Dr Sentamu gives thanks for restoring the church. He comments that the work is not finished as the vestry needs attention and he is making the first donation towards this. His sermon is from Epiphany 1. The Archbishop concludes by saying that lives are restored in the same way as the church and the community will continue in the future. (42:53) The congregation stands and the Archbishop tells everyone to say to the person next to them 'Now you know you are children of God, start behaving like one' (43:40) The dedication and the blessing of the church by Dr Sentamu (44:30) The blessing of the bell by the Archbishop (45:20) The bell rings nine times (46:17) Hymn: 'Be still for the presence of the Lord' (49:00) Prayer and responses from the congregation 'Shine on our lives we pray' (51:50) The Lord's Prayer (52:38) Final hymn 'O Lord my God'. A collection is taken during the hymn (57:00) Final prayer and blessing by the Archbishop of York (57:35) Procession of the clergy out of the church (58:00) Final organ piece as people chat and leave the church (59:00) Image of the church in the snow. A voice over talks about the work programme needed to rectify a leaking roof, rotting plasterwork and a crumbling bell. The restoration of the church has brought everyone in the community together and Dr John Sentamu has led the celebration of how the village saved the church (1:00:15) Lists the donors Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1629/2')

2010

Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2022