search archive
browse archive Up

ENID GREENWOOD'S RECORDS RELATING TO MARKET WEIGHTON AND BEVERLEY (DVDS)

Object Type: Folder
In root of archive



Title
Description
Date

Contains video footage showing the station before closure, with views of the platform, passing goods trains and passenger trains, and the demolition process after closure. Includes background music. Duration: 28:06 mins Timing. Action on film: (00:20) Slide showing that this is a film about Market Weighton station, a month before its closure. Filmed by Harold W Lyon. (00:34) Footage of a train on the move and cars waiting at the level crossing behind the gate. (00:42) The exterior of the station and its car park. (00:50) Two young children walking towards the station entrance. (01:13) A man in what appears to be the station control room. (01:33) Footage of a train moving along the track. (02:08) A phone for communication between Beverley station and Market Weighton, and further on York to Market Weighton. (02:17) Here is footage of the platforms. (02:29) The train departures board. (02:32) Here are some retro rail advertising posters. (03:26) A lady working in what appears to be the ticket office. (03:55) A family leaving the station. (04:13) Footage of the railway tracks with the footbridge above. (05:11) A train departing the station. (05:19) A document stating that Market Weighton station is to be closed. (05:08) Footage of what appears to be a goods train. (06:53) A man walking on the railway line. (08:56) The old train mechanisms in action. (09:25) One of the station workers. (12:06) Workers loading a goods train. (13:12) Footage of a moving coal train. (14:11) Footage of passengers getting on and off a train. (14:35) Document highlighting the passengers services were to be discontinued at Market Weighton. (15:09) A daughter playing whilst mother watches. (15:30) Footage of the tracks after snow. (17:54) Atmospheric scenes of bellowing smoke in darkness from the train. (18:36) Demolition of the footbridge (18:46) The footbridge collapses. (19:06) The station itself being demolished. Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1611/3')

nd. [c.1965]

Contains photographs, maps and other sources relating to the history and development of Market Weighton. Consists of a slide show with audio commentary by Enid Greenwood. Note: audio quality is severely reduced from (25:12) onwards. Duration: 32 mins Timing. Action on film: (00:38) Enid explains that the houses on the right of the picture were not there 150 years ago. (00:55) Map of what the town would have looked like in 1848. (01:05) Discussion of the oldest chapel in the East Riding today. (01:32) Methodist Chapel, built 1786. (01:48) Discussion of the introduction of Methodism to Market Weighton. (01:59) Interior of the old Methodist chapel. (03:07) The remaining stairs left in the chapel. (03:16) There was a fire at the chapel in 2010, causing mainly smoke damage. The space is now due to be used as a Methodist Hall. (03:35) Sketch of the town, drawn around 1860. (03:54) House on the right hand side, eventually knocked down to make way for a new chapel. (04:02) Image of the new chapel which opened in 1868, taken in 1905. (04:42) Image of the pulpit inside the chapel, which took up a third of the area inside due to altar rails. (04:48) A decision was made to remove all the pews and pulpit in order to use the space for something else. (05:09) Image of the new building once the pulpit and the pews had been removed, taken in 2008, the day after it was opened. (05:15) Enid explains some of the new activities that were pursued after the refurbishment, something she was particularly pleased with was the fact that mothers and children could use the space. (05:41) Photograph showing the Market Hill being used for people to sell their goods. (05:58) Photograph of goods being sold , paying particular attention to the fact that it shows a firm from Hull. (06:24) Looking at the map, Enid explains that looking the other way on the map indicates that the Market Hill of the past is very much different from today. (06:46) Image of the old Market Hill in the 1800s. (06:59) To the right of the image we see York Road, which was previously called North Gate. (07:10) View of the same area around 1977. (07:33) Image taken in 1977, on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee, when The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh visited the town. (07:49) Image taken in 2009 of the same area, containing in the middle a statue of Giant Bradley. (08:04) Image of the statue being carved by Malcolm McLoughlin at Tibthorpe. Enid emphasises the fact that the main part of the statue was produced using a chain saw. The statue was carved from the wood of an oak tree in Everingham Woods. (8:25) Image of the narrow part of the market place. (08:33) Image of the market place in 1910. Enid believes that until around the Second World War, the market was situated on the road. (08:44) Enid mentions the public house on the right of the picture, called 'The White Swan', known locally as the 'Mucky Duck'. She believes it gained this title because it wasn't very clean. (08:54) Enid says that the stalls on the image from 1910, mentioned earlier, were situated on the road until the Second World War due to there being too much traffic through the town around that time. (09:04) Image of an ironmongers called Cooper's. Enid says that this photograph was taken before 1910 as the proprietor, Samuel Cooper, soon after moved over to the other side of the road in 1910. (09:41) Image of a row of shops containing a jeweller, 'Ingleses', which was still in existence in York as of 2010. (10:15) Stather's built in 1879, was not as old as the other buildings on the row of shops. (10:21) Image of an advert from Stather, showing the fact that they sold and re-covered umbrellas. Enid believes that the sketch of the women situated in the middle of the picture is rather strange and ponders whether this is what women looked like then. (10:56) Image of the chemist and the narrow part from 'The Londesborough Arms'. Enid mentions that the building on the right was previously used for women to wait for their fathers or husbands to come out of the pub. Enid's mother used to wait there for her husband. (11:15) The pharmacy in the image has been in existence for a long time. Today it is 'Boots', and Enid mentions that the shop next to this, which is now the 'Co-op', was where her family originally had their business. (11:41) Image showing the same area as the previous photograph at (10:56) from before 1910, with the pharmacy and particular emphasis on its front windows, which are now situated in The Castle Museum, York. (12:21) Front view of the old chemist shop. Enid remembers that around the Second World War there was a large concrete barrier that stuck out from the window to the middle of the road, so that the road could be cut off in the event of an invasion. (12:55) Map in 1848 showing the shop of Enid's ancestor, John Lyon, who was a rope maker. It was his father John Lyon, who was a weaver, that bought the original family shop plot in 1601. (13:38) Image of John Lyon's son William, Enid's great grandfather. (14:01) Image of some of the items sold by William. Enid mentions that he furnished funerals. He later moved to America with his family, but did return. When he died, his wife Mary continued the business. (14:52) Image of Thomas Green-Lyon, Enid's grandfather, when he was 16, son of William and Mary. (15:07) Image of Thomas Green-Lyon at a much older age. (15:13) Image taken in 1900, where Enid explains that the shop was extended to give more space for apprentices. (15:53) In the yard behind the building, Enid explains that the wall at the side highlights the changes that have occurred within the building over the years. (16:14) Inside the yard in 1911, showing the groceries being loaded onto carts. Travellers went out on pony and trap to get orders. (16:55) Image of Enid's father, Harold William Lyon, who was the next person to take over the shop. He kept it until he retired, when it was sold as he only had three daughters and no sons to take over the family business. (17:11) This is what the area would have looked like in 1928, the year Enid was born. The operation was motorised, apart from the errand boy. (17:29) The family shop as it appeared in 1932. (18:02) Enid mentions that the family moved out of the shop in 1934 and offices were put in place above the shop floor area. (18:22) This is what the interior of the shop looked like after refurbishment in 1934. (18:29) Enid mentions that the shop's coffee grinder always led to customers associating the shop with a strong smell of coffee. (18:54) Image of soldiers marching down the street during what Enid thinks is the First World War. (19:00) Enid describes the shop named 'Barnes' opposite her family's shop, making particular reference to the lady who ran it and her hard working nature. (19:53) A sketch of the street in 1860, paying particular attention to the 'Londesborough Arms' public house. Enid mentions that the building on the left was demolished and Barclays Bank was built there. She also pays attention to a shop named 'Parkinson's'. (20:48) The old farm house in Goodmanham, in which a Methodist worship movement was set up in the kitchen by George Foster, great grandfather of George Parkinson, Market Weighton, shop owner. (21:09) Image of George Parkinson outside the shop with his daughter Nellie. It was a grocers and drapery. Enid comments that George's son Thomas carried on with the business, but eventually sold the shop. (21:49) How Parkinson's shop building looks today. It is now however a pet shop. (22:06) A picture of the farmers market outside the 'Londesborough Arms'. (22:41) The interior of the church. Enid talks about the layout and comments that the font has been there for nearly 1000 years. (23:24) Image of part of the church through a doorway. Enid mentions that this was once the school. She also says at the front of this room there is part of an old Saxon church, where children used to sharpen their styluses. (24:10) Image showing the old school now being used as a meeting room. (25:12) Image of the local brewery. (Note that the audio quality is severely reduced from this point onwards). (25:33) In 1985 there was a fire at the brewery building, some of the damage is seen on this photograph. (25:37) Image showing the brewery's demolition in 1989. (23:45) Once the brewery had been demolished, The All Saints block of flats were built there, opening in 1991. (23:55) Image of the water pump on the green. Enid explains that it was used to fill farmers' water carts. (26:18) The town as it appears today. (26:28) Image of the old police station, situated on the green, which is now a private house. Also in the image is the old fire station. (26:48) Plan of the old police station, showing that there was a court house on the right and a sergeant's room on the left along with some prison cells. (27:29) Image of the new court house, built on Beverley Road in 1903. (27:31) Image taken on the day of the court house's closure in 1995. (27:45) Enid speaks of an interesting building, highlighted in this image, on Finkle Street, that is now used as a car park. It has over time been used as a brewery and a corn mill. (28:07) Image of a chimney, the only remnant of the old corn mill, in 2003. (28:41) Image of the church hall, which opened in 1933. (29:07) Image of the first fire engine in 1914. (29:32) Image of the old fire station. Prior to this the fire engine was kept in 'The Half Moon's yard. (29:59) Image of the larger fire station that was built to house bigger fire engines. (30:49) The first bus coming to Market Weighton from Londesborough, and then on to Shiptonthorpe. Enid mentions that fares were different for even the smallest journeys. It cost more to travel from Londesborough than Shiptonthorpe, and this made some passengers angry. (32:01) Enid mentions that clothes at that time were very different from today. (32:27) Image of the Market Weighton bypass, which was opened in 1991. Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1611/1')

2010

Contains footage of Beverley Reference Library interior and the East Riding Archives Service at County Hall, Beverley, with scenes showing Enid Greenwood doing family history research. Duration : 3 mins, 33 sec Timing: Action on Film. (00:13) Footage of researchers at work. (00:35) The shelving, with its reference books. (00:39) Footage of a visitor using the card catalogue system. (00:55) The computers in use. (01:45) Footage of Archives Service in County Hall. (03:14) View of the searchroom and part of the archive strongroom. Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1611/4')

nd. [c.1990]

Contains video showing the daily business of an old established Market Weighton grocer's shop in the 1950s. Silent footage with audio commentary by Enid Greenwood that was recorded in Jun 2010. Enid Greenwood was the daughter of the shop owner H W Lyon. The film was made to commemorate his retirement. Duration: 19 mins. Timing. Action on film: (00:42) View of the model lions that Enid's father Harold had on his desk. Enid mentions that this is in reference to the family name of Lyon. (01:29) The front of the shop on Market Place, Market Weighton, taken in 1957. (01:49) Enid mentions that these particular pictures of the window display had to be taken at night due to the reflection on the windows during the day. (03:29) This was an early example of a freezer, and Enid mentions that at the time the only products that you could buy in this department were 'Birdseye' brands. (4:15) The delivery vans, known as 'travellers', would take deliveries from the shop and also collect payment from the housewives for the last week's shopping. (5:59) The travellers covered a large area, towards Howden, Bishop Burton and near to Driffield. (7:30) This is the film of Lesley Parkinson, who was one of the travellers. (7:38) Here he takes Enid's money for groceries and also shows her new products that she might be interested in. (8:56) Biscuits in the past were not packaged and Enid said that they had to be weighed for each customers orders, which until the next day were kept in reusable tin boxes. (10:05) During wartime, Enid mentions that it would have been a difficult job to get orders ready due to the issues with rations. (10:31) An area called the back shop, where all the orders were prepared for the customers. The boxes were re-usable. (13:04) Here are Enid's groceries being delivered. (13:21) Film of Enid's daughter as a baby. (15:23) There were 32 people that worked at Lyons due to a lot having to be done by hand. (15:41) Interior of the warehouse. (15:59) Cyril Hebden, who was in-charge of the warehouse, working alongside his brother. Their father was in charge before Cyril. (16:50) Enid's father buying brushes from a salesman. (17:02) Enid's father and her husband Tom Greenwood at their desk. (17:42) Janet Postle, the women who sent through the orders. (18:06) Audrey Harrison - Enid's father's secretary at the time. (18:22) Here is Audrey doing some copying. (18:37) View of an 'addressograph' printing machine. Public access copy available on Preservica: https://eastriding.access.preservica.com/ (Search 'DDX1611/2')

[1957]-2010

Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2022